(820 mt sea level), a town of ancient origins, probably owes
its name to a Saracen commander, and rises on a territory that
maintains traces of its past. Its establishment goes back to
the Middle Ages, with the construction of the Castle on the remains
of an ancient fortress and the development of a village at its
was destroyed by the 1693 earthquake, and was rebuilt in the underlying
valley, preserving the medieval remains near the Castle. Today the
town offers artistic wonders such as the "Chiesa Madre"
(the Mother Church) dedicated to St. Ambrose of Milan, the Square
of the Stream with the "Fountain of the Four Canals" built
in 1585, the beautiful Church of Mary Magdalena, the Church of St.
Anthony, the Cosentino Palace and the Castle, from which you can
enjoy a magnificent view.
locality is rich of natural surroundings, such as the "Cava
della Stretta" (a Quarry), "Bosco di S. Maria" (the
woods of St. Mary) and Mt. Tereo on which rises the ruins of the
Castle. The latter mountains give the name to our oil.